AEC (Associated Equipment Company) was founded in 1855 and built omnibuses and later buses.
In 1912, the company expanded and reorganized. The company has collaborated with Daimler and also with Yellow Coaches.
The begun military preparations forced to rebuild the British auto industry on a war footing. At the beginning of the 30s of the last century, TK was issued, in which automakers were allowed to use the 1928 W.D. patent for free, which stimulated work on the production of military vehicles.
In 1932, Leyland, Crossley, Karrier, and A.E.C introduced prototypes of military trucks according to a given specification.
AEC in 1932 introduced the Marshal 6x4 army truck, made in accordance with the specified specification. (Leyland, Crossley, Karrier also worked on the technical specifications).
All-wheel drive schemes were given priority a little later, when real tests began to show their clear advantage.
(The British tested the Hathy 4x4 in 1924. In 1935, the Ministry of War issued TK for a 3 ton 4x4 truck to replace the 6x4 IGL, Thornycroft started AWD in 1940)
This was facilitated by the accession to the AEC of the British branch of FWD, which since 1928 was developing a prototype of the military tractor R6T.
On the FWD 4x4 model "B" platform, Charles Cleaver proposed the Matador truck concept, which was implemented by Hardy Motors by launching samples in the early 1930s.
The Hardy design scheme served as the basis for the development of the prototype army truck Matador 4x4, which was adopted in 1938 and bore the designation 0853.
The heavier version was designated 0854 and was made according to the 6x6 scheme, 8x8 was tested in the tests of the vehicle "Tractor For 15 t Oversea Transport Unit" back in 1933-1934.
Matador has a steering and drive axle design based on the Tracta Universal Joint. The predecessor - Hathi - had a more sophisticated system of transmitting torque to a leading and controlled axis.
Matador was produced until 1953.
In 1948, there was a union of AEC and Maudslay Motor, which became known as Associated Commercial Vehicles (ACV). The post-war family of army vehicles began to be produced in 1951 and received the name Militant and was triaxial.
All-wheel drive military chassis had the designation: FV 11002, FV 11010, FV 11011, FV 11015, FV 11016, FV 11021, FV 11022, FV11044 (Recovery), FV11047 (Truck Cargo 10-ton 6 x 6 GS, Mk 3). Bridges (including steered) and a transfer case were own production. Mk-I (O860) was launched in 1954, Mk-II in 1962, and in 1966, the O870 Mk-III (FV-11046) 6x6 gross weight up to 28 t with a 6-speed gearbox, planetary wheel gearboxes.
Since 1961, the ACV Group has become a holding company, which in 1962 acquired Leyland Motors. AEC receives truck and bus division status (Truck and Bus Division of British Leyland Vehicles). The AES brand disappeared in 1977. In 1979, the Southall factory was closed.
1954 AEC Monocoach MC3RV Park Royal
AEC Mammoth Major Telehoist Tipper 1965