Allis-Chalmers was formed in 1901 by the merger of Edward P. Allis Co., which made steam engines and mill equipment, Fraser & Chalmers Co., which mined ore and manufactured milling equipment, Gates Iron Works, which made crushing equipment, and Dickson Manufacturing Co. specialized in motors and compressors. The new large company quickly became a leader in electric motors, turbines, mining equipment and civil engineering.
The 8000 Series, launched in 1982, was the latest line of Allis-Chalmers tractors. Facing financial difficulties, the American company enters into a deal with the German firm Klockner-Humboldt-Deutz, a major manufacturer of civil engineering machinery, pumps, electric motors, turbines, compressors, etc. Allis-Chalmers tractors are now branded as Deutz-Allis, and with 1990 - AGCO (Allis-Gleaner Corporation).